The Charleston Jewish Federation (CJF) is a non-profit community building organization supporting a $1.5 million annual fundraising campaign. We impact and enrich lives here at home and around the world every day, supporting local Jewish organizations and initiatives that build community, foster Jewish identity, and nurture and care for the Jewish people. As part of a network of more than 140 Federations across North America, we are a vibrant community hub that connects resources, volunteers, leaders and expertise to care for people in need, advocate for Israel, and ensure a thriving and sustainable Jewish future.
Our greatest resource is our people — the professionals, volunteers, partners and leaders who help make the greater Charleston’s Jewish community a welcoming home. We offer a collaborative, friendly, inspiring, and flexible work environment. The Charleston community is rapidly growing and there is a strong desire to enhance and build upon the rich tradition of philanthropy and engagement in the Jewish community. We seek a highly motivated professional to join our team as we secure the necessary resources to sustain and grow Jewish life throughout Charleston.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Development Associate will be a central member of the development team focusing on Life & Legacy and the Annual Jewish Community Campaign, while supporting the work of the department across a range of areas. The Development Associate will be part of a team that implements a development strategy for all areas of fundraising. Working collaboratively with professional and volunteer leaders, this position will support donor cultivation, stewardship and solicitation, relationship building, management of volunteer campaigners, prospect research, event planning, database efforts and a wide array of other tasks and opportunities.
Job Responsibilities and Essential Job Functions
- Demonstrate passion for and be able to articulate the mission and importance of the Charleston Jewish Federation.
- Manage Community Campaign portfolio of donors with gifts ranging between $1 and $1,800.
- Manage digital and printed materials and communications to various affinity groups.
- Manage stewardship of donors, including thank you letters, birthdays, anniversaries, condolences, and monthly invoicing for outstanding pledges.
- Manage and coordinate event logistics for campaign and donor events.
- Support CEO and CDO in setting up meetings with high capacity donors.
- Identify, recruit, train and support volunteer leaders for events.
- Support prospecting for new gift opportunities from donors, corporate sponsors and foundations.
- Meet annual goals for soliciting assigned donors and prospects.
- Work in partnership with colleagues to build, maintain and grow current donor profiles and strengthen the culture of Jewish philanthropy for women, young adults, families and others.
- Collaborate with the Development team in the creation, planning, implementation and staffing of events and/or special projects, fundraising initiatives and leadership engagement.
- Collaborate with our beneficiary agencies, attend community events, and participate in programs to enhance the visibility of Federation and maintain an up-to-date awareness of program priorities throughout the Jewish community.
- Utilize digital media to further the goals and heighten awareness of the Development department.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned by supervisor.
Bachelor’s Degree required.
Required Work Experience
0-2 years Fundraising experience required; a writing sample will be requested.
Key Skills and Qualifications
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to work creatively and flexibly in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Highly organized and detail oriented. Proven ability to meet multiple deadlines and balance numerous projects simultaneously.
- Strong social media skills; familiarity with donor software, CRM’s and data management is highly desired. Strong computer skills are necessary, specifically in Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe. Familiarity with Canva is a plus.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to professionalism and collegiality including the ability to receive feedback and take action when appropriate.
- Strong copywriting and editing skills.
- Ability to handle confidential financial and personal information with discretion and sensitivity.
- Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience working for Jewishorga nizations, deep knowledge of Judaism, Jewish culture and traditions, and a personal commitment to Jewish values.
- While knowledge about the Jewish Federation is desirable, it is not a prerequisite for this position.
Other Job Related Requirements:
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required.
- This position must be based in the greater Charleston area.
How We Care For YOU:
The Charleston Jewish Federation offers a competitive compensation package which
- Competitive Compensation, Commensurate With Experience
- Paid Time Off, Days Off for Jewish Holidays, and Early Closure for Shabbat
- 401k Plan with an Employer Contribution and Match
- Professional Development and Skill Building Opportunities
- Flexible and Hybrid Work Environment
- Free and Accessible Parking
Salary range: $45,000-$55,000 commensurate with experience.
The Charleston Jewish Federation is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
More information about our organization is available at www.jewishcharleston.org
Interested candidates should direct inquiries, resumes, and cover letters to Rebecca Engel, Chief Development Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org