Candidates should be located in or willing to relocate to the Greater Washington (DC, MD, and Northern VA) region. This position is eligible for a hybrid work arrangement, with 2-3 days a week required in our headquarters or a Northern Virginia field office. The health and safety of our professional team and community remains a top priority, and all Federation employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Organizational Vision, Mission, and Function
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington (JFGW) envisions an open, connected, and vibrant Jewish community that cares for each other, fosters Jewish learning and journeys, embraces Jewish peoplehood and Israel, and acts as a force for good in the world. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, we work to inspire, build, and sustain vibrant Jewish life in a changing world by mobilizing our community in common purpose, intentional innovation, and effective action.
The Manager, Northern Virginia Community Outreach and Engagement position is a unique leadership opportunity for a dynamic professional, who knows and loves the Jewish Community, to grow and help shape the future of Jewish communal life in one of the youngest and fastest growing Jewish communities in America.
A recent landmark community study revealed that Northern Virginia is home to more than 120,000 Jews and is growing at a rapid rate. As Manager, Northern Virginia Community Outreach and Engagement, you will inspire, shape, and energetically and strategically connect those Jews with one another and with JFGW, enhancing Federation’s presence and impact in Northern Virginia through partnership with community members, local and national agencies, donors, congregational Rabbi’s and key communal leadership.
- Work directly with Federation’s Chief Impact Officer and the Director, Community Outreach and Education to implement a long-term strategy to both strengthen Northern Virginia’s existing community and institutions and grow the community through innovation and relational engagement.
- Develop relationships quickly, strategically, and effectively across Northern Virginia, focusing on professionals, key lay-leaders, emerging lay-leaders, and newcomers.
- Build expertise as it pertains to Northern Virginia’s Jewish communal goals, trends, opportunities, challenges, and risks.
- Represent Federation with the local agencies and community organizations.
- Identify and create relationships with current and potential lay leaders through one-on-one informal meetings, parlor meetings, and innovative relational practices.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with a wide variety of teams across JFGW to implement JFGW’s NOVA strategy.
- Facilitate and manage collaborative grass roots community efforts throughout Northern Virginia
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 4 years of program leadership experience in either customer service, relationship management, fundraising/donor cultivation, community/political organizing, or engagement
- Strong, demonstrated interpersonal skills that enable relationship and partnership building with community organizations, lay leaders, and professionals at all levels
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work independently, perform well under pressure, juggle multiple tasks and exhibit sound judgment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; comfortable with and open to new technology
- Live and work in Northern Virginia (strongly preferred)
- Understanding of Jewish customs and practices and engagement in the Jewish community preferred
A People-Friendly Workplace
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington is an equal opportunity employer offering a people- friendly environment, including:
- Excellent health care and retirement benefits
- Generous time off
- Flexible work options
- Opportunities and an annual stipend for continued professional development
- Access to the JPRO Network, which connects, educates, inspires, and empowers professionals working in the Jewish nonprofit sector
In building our professional team, Federation strives to model our vision of an inclusive community and vibrant future. As an equal opportunity employer, we invite and encourage applications from all candidates of all backgrounds and identities. We know that no applicant's experience will align 100% with the listed qualifications. Don't let that hold you back! We encourage you to apply and look forward to meeting you.
Interested candidates should apply at https://shalomdc.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=50