The Jewish Federations of North America is seeking a part-time intern for fall 2020 who wants to pursue interests in racial equity and justice, social services, research, program management, and communications in the Jewish community.
The Jewish Federations of North America (JFNA) represents 146 Jewish Federations and over 300 Network communities, which raise and distribute more than $3 billion annually for social welfare, social services and educational needs. The Federation movement, collectively among the top 10 charities on the continent, protects and enhances the well-being of Jews worldwide through the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), tzedakah (charity and social justice), and Torah (Jewish learning).
JFNA’s JEDI (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) Intern will support the implementation of JFNA’s JEDI Training curriculum, develop tools, and best practices for JFNA, the Federation system, and the broader Jewish community and work closely with JFNA staff and provide insight and opportunities for our organization to discuss, reflect and learn about ways in which we can address systemic racism as a Jewish community.
In conjunction and under the supervision of the Public Affairs team, responsibilities include:
- Curating and developing JEDI resources and education programs.
- Support JEDI capacity building within JFNA, the Federation System and the broader Jewish community.
- Partnering with JFNA’s Rabbinic Scholar and Public Affairs Advisor to build out and support networks and opportunities for Jews of Color around the country.
- Fostering national partnerships with organizations focused on race relations both in the Jewish community and in the public square.
These projects include, but are not limited to, developing a master spreadsheet containing key information on the Federations engaged in promoting their work with a racial JEDI lens and cataloging materials submitted by the Federation system which highlight positive work done with a JEDI lens.
Please note that the New York office is working remotely for the foreseeable future; therefore, applicants do not need to live in the New York metro area to be considered for the position.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude.
- Strong knowledge of Jewish community and Jews of Color community.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational and communications skills.
- Professional behavior and ability to work with diverse personalities and work styles.
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated undergraduate or graduate student preferred.
- Able to work at least 15 hours per week.
- Interns earn a stipend.
- Gain experience by participating in meetings, determining priorities, and managing expectations.
- Work in a friendly and collaborative office environment.
- Gain knowledge about how the Jewish Federations engage in racial justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, two brief writing samples (up to four pages in length each), and the contact information for two references to DCIntern@Jewishfederations.org.
At JFNA we celebrate and welcome people of all identities and backgrounds. Additionally, JFNA complies with all laws with regard to providing reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need any accommodations to participate in the job application process, please contact the Human Resources Department.
Qualifications: 0-2 years of experience.