Jewish Federation of Northeastern PA is seeking a full-time Executive Director to lead the Federation in continuing to provide dynamic leadership to the Jewish communities of Lackawanna, Monroe, Pike and Wayne counties, PA and support for the state of Israel and overseas Jewish organizations.
Fundraising: The Federation serves as the central fundraising, planning, community relations and community development organization of the Jewish communities of NEPA, raises funds for its constituent agencies as well as for Israel and Jewish overseas needs through the Jewish Agency for Israel and the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee.
Grants: In addition to allocating United Jewish Appeal (UJA) Campaign funds to its local and regional member agencies and Israel. Federation also provides grants through a Grants Committee Process for capital repairs and innovative and creative programs developed by our member agencies.
The Executive Director has responsibility for:
- Overseeing Federation operations and staff – full-time Office Manager, part-time Assistant to Director and part-time Secretary
- Preparation of annual budget
- Resource development
- Motivating and engaging volunteers
- Community engagement
- UJA Campaign responsibilities
- Board relations
- Event management
- Enhancing endowment
- Grant writing
Resource development: The Executive Director oversees the annual UJA Campaign, Special Campaigns relating to Israel emergencies and natural disasters, and planned giving efforts including endowment and grant development. This includes identifying and cultivating new donors for Campaign gifts and endowments; sitting on the Boards of organizations providing significant UJA Campaign gifts and educating donors and the community-at-large regarding local, national, and worldwide Jewish needs that are met through the annual UJA Campaign and through our Federation Jewish newspaper (The Reporter), the Federation website, and social media.
Community involvement: The Executive Director has a key responsibility for developing and promoting coordination among all Jewish institutions in NEPA as well as planning and executing programs that benefit the entire community. The Executive Director is expected to attend important programs and events sponsored by the Federation’s member agencies in Greater Scranton and the Poconos region.
Administrative matters: The Executive Director will provide updates on all aspects of Federation work at meetings of the Executive Committee and the Board of Trustees and ensure all financial and operating processes of the Federation.
UJA Campaign responsibilities: Responsible for annual Campaign developing innovative Campaign programs including Campaign Events and Major Gifts program, presentation of Campaign reports to the Executive Committee and the Board of Trustees. Develop ongoing, positive relationships with current donors and development of new donors.
Board relations: The Executive Director reports to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors to implement the Mission of the Federation. The Executive Director serves as a professional advisor and community resource, cultivates potential Board Members, Committee Chairs, donors and volunteers.
Event management: Preparation of press releases, radio and TV/public service announcements, public information pieces and media relations, website, e-mail and promotional materials and organizes (with staff and volunteers) Federation Campaign events.
- Undergraduate degree minimum, preferably in the social sciences, education or humanities.
- Fundraising experience for non-profits.
- Experience in financial resource development and fiscal management.
- Understanding of and commitment to the local Jewish community, Israel and overseas organizations.
- Experience with the administration of a not-for-profit organization.
- Experience with individuals and community organizations on social issues that affect the Jewish community.
- Effective communication skills - both written and oral.
- Leadership skills, and a welcoming attitude to people and community organizations.
- Listening skills and tolerance for diverse ideas and many points of view.
- Creative thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Commitment to enhancing Jewish values and strong support for state of Israel.
For more Federation information visit the website at JewishNEPA.org
For more information for Northeast PA, visit The Chamber of Commerce website at visitnepa.org
Please send your application letter and resume to: Jewish Federation of Northeastern Pennsylvania. 601 Jefferson Avenue, Scranton, PA 18510, Attn.: Search Committee