The Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor is seeking a creative, dynamic collaborator to join its energetic team as Engagement & Community Relations Manager.
This position plays an integral role in the advancement of the Federation’s mission with a focus on engaging members of the Jewish community and building collaborative relationships with other faith, ethnic, and cultural communities in the area.
This position requires passion for our mission, enthusiasm, excellent organizational abilities, creativity, good humor, and a goal-focused outlook. We seek a team member with exceptional interpersonal communication abilities and the ability to successfully nurture mutually beneficial relationships.
Located in southeast Michigan, Ann Arbor is a vibrant and energetic college town famous for the University of Michigan, its beautiful parks and nature areas and cultural offerings. Ann Arbor boasts a lively downtown, low crime, a healthy economy, regular festivals, robust public transit, and strong, diverse schools and neighborhoods. As a result, it is consistently rated highly on lists of small cities and was named by niche.com as the 2017 best city to live in America. The greater Ann Arbor community encompasses Ypsilanti, the lively and diverse home of Eastern Michigan University, and several warm and welcoming small towns including Saline, Dexter, and Chelsea.
The greater Ann Arbor Jewish community has a population of approximately 8,000 representing about 2,500 households. The community is strong and diverse with congregations representing a broad spectrum of Jewish communal life, a warm and educationally exceptional Jewish elementary school, a thriving Jewish Community Center, and a robust and compassionate Jewish Family Services.
The mission of the Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor is to provide and inspire philanthropic leadership and community-building to nurture a strong, engaged, connected, vibrant and enduring Jewish community locally, in Israel and around the world. The most recent annual campaign raised $1.4 million, and the community’s endowment stands at nearly $6.5 million.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working in close partnership with volunteer leadership, the Engagement and Community Relations Manager supports work related to fostering Jewish life and engagement, expanding inter-group relations within and outside the greater Ann Arbor Jewish community, and cultivating a welcoming and engaging atmosphere for new, current and potential members of the Ann Arbor Jewish community.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
In partnership with the Executive Director, Federation team, and volunteer committees, the Engagement and Community Relationships Manager will manage engagement and community relations activities. This person will:
- Serve as key staff for Jewish Young Professional (JYP) engagement and programming
- Work with volunteer leadership team to plan, organize and implement a full calendar of programming including, but not limited to, Shabbat and holiday gatherings, social interactions, social justice and educational programs, and campaign events
- Actively pursue connections to non-participating young adults or young adults who are new to the greater Ann Arbor area
- Work with JYP volunteer leadership to develop and implement a communications plan for JYP events and initiatives including social media and e-communications.
- Collaborate with other local and regional organizations working with young adults for the benefit of this cohort in the community
- Explore, utilize and develop opportunities for leadership development
- Meet and develop relationships with new and existing community members and connect them to programs, organizations, and opportunities for Jewish life in the community
- Coordinate engagement events and programs for affinity groups such as Maimonides, Cardozo, Business network and others
- Work in collaboration with the Executive Director and JCRC Chair to develop and maintain relationships with local and national Jewish institutions alongside local nonJewish organizations
- Coordinate development and implementation of strategies, priorities, policies, and processes for the JCRC Committee and other related committees in collaboration with the JCRC chair
- Assist the Executive Director in Israel-advocacy related issues
- Participate in the recruitment, training, support, motivation and empowerment of Community Relations Committee members
- Increase the Federation JCRC’s visibility through events and written content
- Promote the mission of the Federation at all times through superior customer service and efficient use of and care for all resources
- Participate in Annual Community Campaign including participating in donor conversations to raise funds on behalf of the community
- Work closely with other staff on planning and implementing Federation events and programs
- Develop and maintain budgets for all programs for which responsible
- Set goals/metrics for success
- Serve as an ambassador of the Federation and foster positive professional relationships within the Federation, agency colleagues, and other external stakeholders
- Attend weekly staff meetings and community events as needed and participate in professional development seminars and conferences as needed; some meetings and programs take place on evenings and weekends
- Other duties as discussed with and determined by the Executive Director
Competencies and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s degree in social work, public policy, Jewish studies or related field is a plus
- Minimum one to three years of professional related experience with project management, community outreach, and volunteer management
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and possessing excellent strategies for and persistence with follow-up
- Significant knowledge of the Jewish community; passion for and broad understanding of Jewish, Israel, and Israel-related issues
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, creative thinker and team player with excellent problem solving and analytical skills, the ability to handle multiple tasks and meticulous attention to detail and follow-up
- Availability to participate in meetings and programs on evenings and Sundays
- Must have access to a car and provide proof of a current driver’s license and registration
Please submit cover letter and resume to Eileen Freed, email@example.com.