Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary Range: $50,000 – $70,000, depending
Anticipated Start Date: June/July 2023
Summary of Job Description:
The Director of Jewish Life and Learning infuses Jewish understanding and practice into all aspects of the Alliance. The Director works with colleagues across the organization to find ways to incorporate Jewish culture, traditions, and learning into the various programs of the organization and builds out learning opportunities through programs and events. The position also works with external partners to develop stronger opportunities for Jewish education throughout the state. The successful candidate will possess a strong knowledge of Jewish learning and culture, and an ability to share that knowledge with others.
- Develop programs for the community that provide Jewish-specific learning for the Dwares JCC. Teach programs as necessary.
- Work with volunteers to better understand Jewish learning needs of community members and implement programs to support that work.
- Serve as a liaison and coordinator to the larger Jewish education community.
- Work with principals, teachers, and school committees as necessary to further improve Jewish education throughout the state.
- Work with synagogues to plan and facilitate professional development programs for Jewish educators in the community, including programs designed to raise awareness of students with disabilities.
- Work with the Alliance’s Finance Department to administer the Foundation for Rhode Island Day schools, including staffing the Board of the Foundation.
- Develop and maintain relationships within the Jewish education field and the larger field of education.
- Work with Early Childcare Center staff to infuse Jewish learning into curriculum and work to train teachers on implementation.
- Infuse Jewish content and/or experiences into Alliance programs and activities.
- Serve as an advisor to Alliance colleagues on Jewish content and quality in programs.
- Oversee Kashrut policies in the Dwares JCC kitchens and for events held at the Dwares JCC.
- Occasionally review the ambiance of the Dwares JCC and make recommendations to increase the Jewish ambiance in the facility.
- Suggest Jewish values that can be placed in and frame policies of the organization.
- Develop and operate a library in the building that promotes Jewish learning and culture.
- Consult, and write as needed, on Jewish content on the Alliance’s website and in the community newspaper, Jewish Rhode Island.
Israel and Overseas Programming
- Manage the Israeli Emissary, who, in addition to external duties, staffs the Israel desk for the organization.
- Promote travel to Israel and Jewish communities abroad in the larger community.
- Collaborate with community partners on speaking engagements and programming for community-wide Israeli national observances (Yom Ha’zikaron and Yom Ha’atzmaut).
- Collaborate with the Director of Community Relations on Israel dialogue conversations.
- Develop and implement Israel cultural events.
- Provide staff support to the Board’s Jewish Life and Learning Committee.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s management team, responsible for implementation of the strategic plan.
- Provide feedback to and support for the implementation of the organization’s strategic plan.
- Serve on cross-departmental teams to address specific projects or issues for the Alliance.
- Track metrics and maintain organizational dashboard items related to the area of Jewish Life and Learning. Report on metrics to the management team.
- A strong knowledge of Jewish learning, art, culture, and other aspects of Jewish life required.
- A strong knowledge of Israel, including its history and culture.
- Understanding of Kashrut policies required.
- Previous teaching experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple projects. Strong organizational skills.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, including occasional nights and weekends.
- Ability to work closely with others in a team environment and effectively interact with all levels of management, community leaders, donors, and volunteers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Judaic studies and/or education-related field required. Rabbinic ordination or Master’s Degree a plus, but not required.
The Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island serves to enrich the quality of life for Jews in Rhode Island, in Israel, and around the world. Today’s Alliance is where the community comes together as one to develop responses to critical issues facing Rhode Island. We do this through philanthropy, education and wellness opportunities, community relations, and by convening agencies, synagogues, and organizations to address issues of common concern. Together, we translate Jewish tradition and values into action. All of our work is guided by our core values:
Tzedakah: upholding the Jewish traditions of righteous giving and justice.
Dor l’dor: securing a future filled with Jewish tradition and heritage.
Tikkun Olam: repairing the world.
Hineni: standing with others so no one stands alone.
Klal Yisrael: supporting worldwide Judaism and the State of Israel.
Torah: pursuing knowledge and lifelong learning.
Please send cover letter and resume to Carissa Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org