The Jewish Federations of North America (“JFNA”) consist of 146 Jewish Federations and dozens of Network communities which collectively raise and distribute more than $3 billion annually to support flourishing Jewish life and the needs of the Jewish people in their home communities and around the world. The Jewish Federation system, among the top 10 charities on the continent, leads the largest network of volunteer and professional leaders who build and sustain Jewish communities that are healthy, safe, caring, welcoming and inclusive, educated and engaged, involved in the broader community, and deeply connected to Israel and the global Jewish people.
The Director of Major Gift Programs works to build meaningful philanthropic relationships which lead to increased engagement and investment. The Director serves as an integral member of the Financial Resource Development (FRD) team by providing leadership for fundraising and stewardship in a fast paced, evolving and ambitious team charged with creating a sophisticated space for transformational philanthropic investment to resource the Jewish community through the Federation system and the broader Jewish communal landscape. The Director will work in partnership with the FRD Team and the larger leadership team at JFNA, to develop, organize, implement and assess a comprehensive tiered strategy for growing system-wide benchmark giving societies, special campaigns, high level committee engagement and donors who have made transformational gifts at the local or national level. They will design and execute comprehensive strategies for a best-in-class donor relations program and collaborate closely with other FRD/Program staff to enhance donor stewardship towards our vision of a high level, coordinated stewardship experience for major gift and principal gift donors to the Jewish Federation system. The Director will play a significant role in growing a culture of philanthropy at JFNA and identifying opportunities for capacity giving. This position reports to the AVP of Principal and Leadership Giving.
- In conjunction with the Executive and FRD team, develop and direct a strategic, donor focused national stewardship program for benchmark giving societies of $25K+ and $100K+ donors. Through innovative cultivation practices and an enhanced communication plan, create a connection between local and national support of the Federation system.
- Oversee national King David Society, Prime Minister’s Council, International Leadership Reunion and select campaign donors in conjunction with relevant JFNA/local partners. Develop, oversee, execute and evaluate all relevant stewardship processes and solicit capacity gifts.
- Create relationships with donors and prospects throughout the system to connect them to philanthropic opportunities through JFNA.
- Be a strong front facing member of the FRD team responsible for high level relationship building and donor management.
- Collaborate closely with AVP of Principal and Leadership Gifts to evaluate individual engagement/solicitation plans for individual donors and foundations supporting the Jewish Federations of North America at select giving levels.
- Partner with the Impact and Growth team and Marketing, to develop technological solutions to create maximum efficiencies and analytics to inform our donor stewardship strategies.
- Work with key lay leadership and stakeholders to establish donor recognition opportunities, guidelines and practices.
- Coordinate visible donor recognition opportunities for specific fundraising campaigns.
- Guide and support the stewardship of key lay leadership committees and boards including but not limited to the JFNA Board of Directors and the JFNA Board of Trustees.
- Help measure the effectiveness of existing stewardship activities and proactively recommend new tools and strategies to convey the impact of donors’ support of the Jewish Federation system.
- Plan, support and execute stewardship related events, communications and travel opportunities (missions).
- Establish policies and procedures surrounding new and ongoing stewardship projects and practices working closely with executive leadership at local Federations and the FRD/Lay Leadership teams.
- Establish systems and guidelines in partnership with the SalesForce team to support effective and coordinated stewardship practices.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 5-7+ years’ experience in frontline development roles
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and experience in relationship management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience planning, writing, editing, and producing stewardship communications
- Comfort and experience with interacting with a broad range of constituents including senior leadership
- Extensive high-level writing and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a deadline driven, fast paced environment
- Team player with superb work ethic
- Available to travel periodically, both domestically and internationally
PLEASE SUBMIT A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: Amanda.Goldstein@jewishfederations.org.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, JFNA celebrates and welcomes people of all identities and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.