For over 60 years, The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee (“the Federation”) has led the way in building a warm, welcoming, and inclusive community for Jews and non-Jews in the area. The Federation is beginning a new era of Jewish experiences, transforming its 32- acre campus on McIntosh Road into several new and exciting services [day camp, cultural center, etc.] and a state-of-the-art event center. The Jewish community has doubled over the last 18 years, with approximately 35,000 people living in Jewish households as of 2019. The Federation is an integral part of the entire Sarasota-Manatee community and is considered a thought leader in the broader community. This is an exciting time to build upon the strengths of this wonderful Jewish community.
The Florida counties of Sarasota and Manatee are growing and are a part of the North Port- Sarasota- Bradenton metropolitan area, renowned for its beaches, outdoor activities, and resorts. Sarasota County is also enriched by its arts & culture offerings. Known as Florida's Cultural Coast®, it is where one can enjoy museums, art galleries and performing arts venues all around town. Sarasota is also home to the well-known Ringling College of Art and Design. Sarasota has its own Symphony Orchestra, Ballet company and Opera company with the only venu3 in the country where multiple operas can be seen in a one-week period. If one is a sports enthusiast, the area is home to the baseball Spring Training camps of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Baltimore Orioles and Atlanta Braves, as well as three professional sports teams in nearby Tampa and St. Petersburg. Residents enjoy a very high quality of life and low taxes.
Our mission is to strengthen Jewish life and identity in our community, provide for Jewish people in need and promote support for Israel. The Federation is seeking an experienced, entrepreneurial leader with a passion for the Jewish Community who will build upon its established strengths and further energize the community. There is great interest in continued innovation and community planning to accommodate the rapid growth and geographic spread of the Jewish community. The CEO will have a unique opportunity to collaborate with leadership to shape the future and move the organization forward in realizing its vision for the Campus and community.
The CEO, reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will provide leadership and strategic direction toward realizing the Federation’s goals. The CEO will be an experienced organizational leader with a record of success who welcomes the challenge of building teams, developing relationships, and partnering with key constituents in the community.
The CEO must have an understanding and familiarity with organizational, social, and political aspects of Jewish life locally, nationally, and internationally. The CEO must want to be an engaged and active member of the community and embrace the unique flavor and culture of Jewish life in greater Sarasota-Manatee.
CEO Success Factors
- Has a proven ability as a consistent fundraiser. Can successfully solicit and steward major donors and high net worth prospects.
- Consistently demonstrates excellent business and non-profit management skills. Understands finance, marketing, IT, and human resources.
- Displays integrity and credibility in all actions. Has an ethical and moral compass.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively manage change.
- Demonstrates a passion for and knowledge of the Jewish worlds, culture, politics, and the issues of Jewish life.
- Can lead strategic planning to obtain involvement and commitment of diverse constituents, and the ability to implement.
- Inspires involvement and commitment by articulating and communicating a clear, compelling vision.
- Manage the financial and physical resources of the Federation by working to ensure that all Federation assets are soundly administered, and multi-faceted budgets are being met.
- Oversee the Federation campus working in collaboration with the Officers, Board of Directors, and Committees in setting strategic direction, governance, development, and campus operations.
- Serve as primary spokesperson for Federation to the public and facilitate ongoing efforts to educate the community and promote the Federation’s mission, which is to help ensure the continuity of a strong and vibrant Jewish community in Sarasota-Manatee, Israel, and throughout the world.
- Effectively utilize appropriate staff and volunteers to identify, cultivate, and steward relationships with existing donors, as well as potential new donors of the highest level.
- Recruit, hire, lead, mentor, motivate, and evaluate a high-performing team of professionals that will support the Federation and help it achieve its strategic goals.
- Support the efforts to grow leadership and build pipelines for new leaders of the organization and the Jewish community.
- Identify and cultivate revenue opportunities for the new campus facilities, as well as create opportunities for endowed and planned gifts.
- Maintain open communications and collaborative partnerships with Jewish and non-Jewish community and government leaders, corporations, foundations, and other NFP institutions.
- Oversee the design, delivery, and quality of the Jewish Federation programs and services, including the use of all campus venues.
- Review community priorities and develop new strategies to meet the changing needs of the community, including security.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, Masters preferred. MBA is a plus.
- Eight plus years of progressive, strategic leadership and management experience in business, government, and/or non-profit sectors.
- Demonstrated successful track record of working with a Board and understanding volunteer-professional partnerships in an organization or agency comparable in complexity to the Jewish Federation and its campus.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to set and articulate an organizational vision; see and manage the organization from a big-picture perspective and be decisive and inclusive in the decision-making process; and be proactive and employ critical thinking skills.
- Must be visionary, strategic, innovative, and results-oriented with proven success in building trusted relationships
- Flexibility to manage change as the community grows and faces new and different challenges
- Demonstrated success as an effective and consistent fundraiser. Proven ability to attract and steward high net-worth individuals and be attuned to donor interests and concerns.
- An energetic self-starter with highly developed interpersonal skills who can relate well with staff, lay leadership, donors, and the community at large.
- Strong business acumen and experience with complex fiduciary responsibilities, finance and accounting operations of non-profits, and governance requirements.
- Must be a role model for volunteer and professional leadership.
- Must have outstanding written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable speaking in public.
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to Jewish life, Jewish values, the State of Israel, and the work of the Federation. Must inspire engagement, participation, and commitment from diverse stakeholders, and be perceived as the leader of the Jewish community.
- Builder of coalitions with other organizations and leaders to identify and promote opportunities for collaboration in service of shared interests.
- Ability to multi-task and manage in a fast-paced environment.
For more information, please contact Carin@sageviewconsulting.com
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + Advanced Degree Preferred.