About the Greensboro Jewish Federation
The Greensboro Jewish Federation is a strong voice and central convener of the Jewish community of Greensboro, North Carolina. Since 1940, it has provided care to those in need, encouraged deeper Jewish engagement and quality of life, and given strength to the community. The Federation raises critical funds for local, national, and international causes; offers programming, networking, and social events; brokers community relations; advocates for Israel; and organizes cultural observances, celebrations, and commemorations. Recognized as a leader of smaller Jewish communities in North America, the Greensboro Jewish Federation is set apart by its high level of volunteer leadership, per capita giving, creativity, and innovation. As a pillar in the Jewish South, the Federation serves every age and demographic.
The Greensboro Jewish Federation partners with national and international organizations, including the Jewish Agency for Israel and the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, to promote Jewish identity, respond to global emergencies, and assist communities in crisis. Within the local Greensboro community, the Federation supports Holocaust teacher training programs, college education, campus programs, youth and young adult groups, and human services. The Federation's 2023 annual campaign goal is approximately $2 million.
The Greensboro Community
Greensboro, North Carolina is the third-largest city in North Carolina. It boasts community attractions including the Greensboro Science Center, International Civil Rights Center and Museum, Greensboro Coliseum Complex, Tanger Center for the Performing Arts, and seven college campuses including The University of North Carolina at Greensboro and North Carolina A&T University. The Greensboro Jewish community has an energy and vibrancy beyond its numbers, offering diverse programming for those of all interests and life stages. In addition to the Federation, Greensboro is home to three flourishing congregations, B'nai Shalom day school, and a variety of engagement, cultural, multi-faith, and multi-ethnic community building activities and initiatives.
The CEO Position
The CEO is the chief professional officer of the Greensboro Jewish Federation, performing all executive functions, and working at the direction of and accountable to the Board of Trustees. This leader will provide vision, management, and strategic direction toward the fulfillment of the Federation's mission and goals. The CEO has ultimate responsibility for and daily oversight of the professional staff of 13. The CEO also guides financial resource development, allocations, programming, and financial operations of the Federation and its constituent agencies, including the Jewish Foundation of Greensboro and Jewish Family Services of Greensboro.
Serving as a highly visible public face of the Jewish community, the CEO will play a role in recruiting and developing new sources of leadership and funding for the Federation. To this end, the CEO will spend significant time in the community with major donors, rabbis, agency executives, and other partners and constituents of the Federation. The CEO will also work closely with volunteer leadership to ensure accountability via appropriate reporting and procedures.
A successful candidate will have the skills and ability to lead staff and volunteers working in an environment of collaborative planning and program delivery, while simultaneously building a vision for growing philanthropy within the Jewish community.
Fund development will be a key priority of the CEO, including active and hands-on engagement in the Federation's fundraising efforts. This wil include planning for and implementing the Federation's annual campaign and special appeals, in partnership with professional and lay development teams.
The CEO will be an effective communicator with groups and individuals, with the ability to convey organizational and communal issues clearly, build consensus around emerging trends and issues, and recommend and guide decisive action in pursuit of the Federation's mission. Finally, the CEO will exhibit broad knowledge of Jewish traditions, history, and practice, as well as a passion for Jewish values and ethics.
Executive Leadership & Vision
- Partner with lay and professional stakeholders to create a welcoming home to serve and support the entire Jewish community of Greensboro.
- Serve as a public face and voice of the Federation throughout the Jewish and greater Greensboro community, inspiring engagement and participation from new and current leaders and donors.
- Convene the community around issues of concern and action in Greensboro and beyond, positioning the Federation as a facilitator of strategic partnerships.
- Represent the Federation with regard to civic issues and forums throughout the Jewish and broader community of Greensboro.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with relevant national and international Jewish organizations to leverage new ideas, perspectives, and collaborative approaches.
- Oversee the professional team at the Federation, as well as supervise the Directors of the Jewish Foundation of Greensboro and Jewish Family Services of Greensboro, fostering a supportive and growth-oriented environment.
- Nurture and establish relationships with local, national, and international foundations through grant-writing and personal communications.
- As the lead development professional for the Federation, personally manage a robust portfolio of major donors; engage and re-engage new and former supporters of the annual campaign and special initiatives.
- Lead the professional team responsible for financial resource development, with emphasis on sustainable strategies to cultivate, solicit, steward, and recognize donors.
- Motivate, train, and oversee lay leaders and professionals in ongoing fundraising efforts.
- Regularly evaluate the management and status of the Federation's financial resources, including procedures, initiatives, trends, and results.
- Nurture a workplace culture characterized by proactive talent recruitment, team cohesion, creativity, innovation, mentorship, and professional satisfaction.
- Oversee and manage organizational planning and evaluation, financial resource allocation and oversight, programmatic offerings, community relations, administration, and fiscal accountability.
- Serve as professional advisor and resource to the Board in areas of policy and governance.
- Partner with the Board to maintain and strategically expand relationships with key stakeholders.
Qualifications & Skills
- Proven track record of strategic major gift fundraising; understanding of Federation campaigns and best practices in annual and supplemental campaign planning and implementation.
- Open, accessible, and accountable leadership style and approach that exhibits sensitivity to and appreciation of various viewpoints.
- Sophisticated relationship building and collaboration skills, as relevant to professional and volunteer leaders and community partners.
- Executive leadership background in an organization or agency comparable to the Federation in size and/or complexity (5+ years preferred).
- Compelling and effective oral and written communication skills: confidence in articulating the case for support on behalf of the Federation, and showcasing active listening when encountering the ideas and concerns of others.
- Personal commitment to ethical behavior in all aspects of professional practice.
- Commitment to living in and representing Greensboro; appreciation of the unique value and culture of the Greensboro Jewish community; and personal dedication to Jewish identity and Israel.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred.
$180K - $200K
Greensboro Jewish Federation offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive suite of benefits (Medical, Dental, and Vision), Short- and Long-Term Disability, Term and Voluntary Life Insurance, 403(B), Parental Leave, and generous Paid Time Off, as well as Jewish and Federal Holidays.
Please submit a resume & cover letter to:
Sue Sherr-Seitz, Senior Talent Consultant, Evolve Giving Group: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jami Bachrad, Talent Consultant, Evolve Giving Group: email@example.com