About the Campaign Director
The Jewish Federation of Cleveland is searching for a dynamic professional to serve as Campaign Director. The Campaign Director is a full-time position that oversees both short and long-term development and implementation of the annual Campaign for Jewish Needs, including the involvement of leadership, campaigners, donors, and the Federation staff. The Campaign Director will report directly to the Chief Development Officer.
- Design and Implementation of the Overall Campaign Effort
a. Coordinates and/or oversees planning of all major campaign events and activities to ensure their success.
b. Evaluates efforts both in an on-going manner and systematically following each campaign.
c. Ensures longer-term vision, objectives, and programs are developed to ensure ongoing vitality of annual campaign.
- Work with General Campaign Chair
a. Maintains close working relationship with the general campaign chair to help him or her succeed as the role model and leader for the Campaign. The effort includes providing him/her with necessary information, feedback and support to be effective.
b. Meets on a regular basis with campaign chair to ensure continued motivation and enthusiasm, to schedule and organize events and meetings for the campaign, to develop strategies for individual solicitation approaches, and to make sure that the campaign runs as smoothly as possible.
- Work with Top Campaign Leadership
a. Assists in defining the roles for top campaign leadership, including general vice chairs, special project chairs and additional leadership, communicating with them on a regular basis to help them understand and carry out their job responsibilities.
b. Helps ensure that the lines of communication down from general chair and general vice –chairs and leadership remain open and that the flow of information is steady and useful.
c. Coordinates meetings on an on-going basis with these various leaders both to bring them into campaign planning process and to ensure their involvement in all aspects of the campaign.
d. Ensures there is a flow of qualified leaders prepared to lead various aspects of the campaign. Coordinates and/or oversees programs to identify, prepare and motivate future campaign leaders.
- Donor Development
a. Oversees strategies to ensure a focus on major gift donors and donors at benchmark giving levels.
b. Identifies donors with high potential and coordinate efforts to involve and cultivate them through campaign. Refers select donors to HRD to meet broader involvement objectives.
c. Consults with Development colleagues to ensure a total resource development approach to donors.
d. Develops and/or oversees implementation of strategies to grow the donor base.
e. Solicits a portfolio of donors for the annual campaign.
- Campaign Message and General Communication
a. Develops, in consultation with staff and top campaign leadership, each year’s campaign theme and marketing approach, ensuring they reflect the goals and objectives of the campaign.
b. Consults with marketing staff on development of all campaign-related publications and materials, and P.R./advertising approaches with the media.
c. Reviews all campaign related production jobs to ensure quality and consistency of look and message.
d. Supervises integrated approach to the lower giving levels of the campaign, including direct mail, telemarketing, e-mail and phone-a-thons.
- Supervision of Core Campaign Staff
a. Supervises and evaluates a team of core campaign staff.
b. Coordinates and oversees regular core campaign staff meetings
c. Attends key meetings staffed by core campaign staff members.
d. Reviews all major written materials produced by campaign core staff.
e. Ensures that members of core campaign staff are adequately and effectively carrying out their responsibilities.
- Represent JFC in national forums for Campaign professionals.
- All other activities as directed by JFC President or Chief Development Officer.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Excellent research, writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to manage budgets for supervised area of responsibility.
- An understanding of and ability to articulate the accomplishments and goals of a complex organization.
- The intelligence, maturity and sound judgement necessary for interacting with major donor prospects, trustees and staff.
- Ability to manage and mentor other fundraising staff.
- Proficiency in a database system.
- Knowledge of the Jewish community, culture, and traditions.
- Ability to work well with diverse population.
- Travel and the ability to work evenings and weekends is required
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 10 – 15 years of development experience, including major gift development.
- A demonstrated record of successfully closing gifts of $10,000+.
- Experience managing staff as well as designing and executing donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Experience with Jewish communal work, fundraising and development, and non-profit organizations.
About the Federation:
The Jewish Federation of Cleveland is a 116-year-old community cornerstone that aspires to leave no community member behind. Rooted in traditional Jewish values of justice (tzedek), repairing the world (tikkun olam), acts of loving kindness (gemilut hesed), and Jewish peoplehood (klal yisrael), we commit our values into action every day. By honoring and respecting those who have come before us, and paving the way for those who will come after, we exist to build a better world and care for those who share it. Together we make a difference for Jews and non-Jews in the Cleveland area and worldwide.
For more information or to apply, visit: https://www.jewishcleveland.org/jobs/campaign_director/
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + Advanced Degree Preferred and 10+ years of experience.