Unlock the keys to Sephardic history through firsthand stories
The Spanish and Portuguese governments are granting citizenship to the descendants of Sephardic Jews…
Spanish and Portuguese citizens are discovering their Jewish ancestors and in some cases reclaiming their Judaism, having safeguarded the keys to their ancestral homes for hundreds of years…
This is a particularly interesting time to be in Spain and Portugal. Join us to find out the stories behind these fascinating people and events. Meet hidden Jews whose families have maintained their faith in secret for 500 years, and the descendants of those who risked their lives to save Jews.
LISBON: Four Seasons Hotel, Sept 15-18, 2016
- At Synagogue Shaarei Tikva, meet community leaders and examine the 500-year-old key to the Aron Kodesh.
- Enjoy dinner at the residence of US Ambassador Robert Sherman (TBC) and high tea at the residence of Israeli Ambassador Tzipora Rimon
- Tour Estoril on the Portuguese Riviera and visit Sintra’s Royal Palace and Monserrate Palace and Gardens.
- Learn about our overseas partners’ work with the Lisbon Jewish community.
MADRID: Villa Magna Hotel, Sept 18-22, 2016
- Visit the historic and poignant Plaza de Mayor, site of significant events during the Inquisition.
- Reception with U.S. Ambassador, James Costos and meeting with Israeli Ambassador David Kutner
- Join Holocaust survivor Eva Benatar at the Foreign Ministry to pay tribute to the heirs of Ángel Sanz Briz, honored by Yad VaShem as Righteous Among the Nations (TBC)
- Take a day trip to Toledo to tour the city. Join the mayor (TBC) for a reception at City Hall and enjoy a Sephardic lunch by master chef Diego Muñoz at the Cigarral Santa Maria vineyard .
ISRAEL: Ritz Carlton Hotel, Herzliya, Sept 22-25, 2016
- Helicopter tour followed by lunch and wine tasting in the Golan Heights
- See the innovative work of Federation dollars
- Meet with President Reuven Rivlin and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (TBC)
Tentative Itinerary: Portugal Pre-Mission
Suggested voluntary commitment is $100,000 to the 2017 Annual Campaign or a Star of David Society permanent endowment of $2,000,000 established at a Federation or Jewish Community Foundation. Donors are encouraged to invite their adult children to attend. Donors under the age of 45 who contribute $50,000+ to the Annual Campaign are invited to participate on the mission.