Job Title: Senior Director, Community Partnerships
Date Last Updated: 9/29/2013
Job ID #: 10936
Community Planning & Resource AllocationOrganization Name:
Jewish Federation of San Diego CountyLocation:
San Diego, CaliforniaStatus:
Senior Director, Community Partnerships
Jewish Federation of San Diego County
The Jewish Federation of San Diego County has served the San Diego Jewish Community for over 75 years. San Diego is the 13th largest Jewish Community in North America with more than 100,000 Jews in 50,000 households. There are more than 100 synagogues, organizations and institutions in the San Diego Jewish Community.
In May 2013, the Federation Board of Directors adopted a new Vision and Mission.
A vibrant, caring, connected and enduring Jewish community.
Inspired by Jewish values, we broaden and deepen engagement in Jewish life to strengthen Jewish identity, foster dynamic connections with Israel and care for all Jews in need. We mobilize our community’s resources, leaders and organizations to address the community’s most critical needs, creating profound impact locally, in Israel and around the world.
Federation seeks an experienced, creative and forward-thinking individual to be its Sr. Director of Community Partnerships. The Sr. Director will lead the development and implementation of Federation’s mission-driven strategy to “mobilize community resources to address the most critical needs of our community.”
The Sr. Director will lead all Federation grant making, partnership and programmatic efforts, locally, nationally, in Israel and overseas, including a team of program directors and managers. Integral to the success of the new Sr. Director will be the ability manage a highly skilled professional team, collaborate with the CEO and volunteer leadership team on a strategic plan and assure successful implementation of the partnership strategy. The Sr. Director will assess emerging needs and funding opportunities, and recommend to the CEO and leadership the necessary program strategies to address those issues.
The Sr. Director will have significant fundraising responsibilities, in coordination with the Development Director in support of high-impact, major community initiatives expected to be in the multi-million dollar range.
The Sr. Director will be a member of the Management Team, reporting to the President & CEO. S/he may be called upon to be responsible for the Agency’s operation in the absence of the CEO. S/he will be a leader in the field of community collective impact and partnerships with substantial experience in non-profit leadership in community-based highly decentralized settings. Of special significance will be the Sr. Director’s ability to develop and maintain relationships with the most senior professional and volunteer leaders of the Jewish and secular communities in San Diego and nationally in order to support Federation’s Vision and Mission.
The Sr. Director will work to develop systems to assess and evaluate all programs, their budget and funding streams as well as their outcomes.
As a key member of the senior management team, the Sr. Director must be a talented manager with the ability to lead and when needed, redeploy and recruit staff. The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and communications skills, a hands-on and collaborative management style and the ability to address and solve problems as they arise. In addition, he or she will be ethical, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment.
- With the CEO, lead Federation in shaping strategic priorities for grant making, partnerships and programs.
- Recommend and oversee expenditures, related action plans recommend guidelines and modifications based on community and partnership needs and national trends.
- Demonstrate flexibility in a climate of changing funding and programmatic priorities.
- Provide on-going oversight of all Federation grants, partnerships and programs to ensure that they are well managed and operating at the highest capacity within the allowable budget.
- Actively participate in strategic and business planning and provide leadership in plan development, implementation and evaluation.
- Provide expert knowledge in a range of areas including – community partnerships, collective impact, grant management and community planning.
- Oversee management of funder contracts and program expenses to ensure programs’ ongoing ability to effectively and efficiently deliver Federation’s mission and meet contract objectives.
- Oversee Federations efforts to establish and maintain clear outcomes for all grants, partnerships and programs.
- Develop and maintain acceptable policies and standards of professional practice.
- Form a trusting, outcomes focused working partnership with the CFO, Development Director and CEO as a member of the top management team.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with volunteer leadership, not only in his/her areas of responsibility but across Federation, with special attention to the Board of Directors and key committees.
- Build and maintain effective and trusting relationships with grant, partnership and program staff and volunteer leadership. Encourage and empower staff to maximize productivity, ensure professional excellence and high quality standards and promote teamwork.
- Ensure that day-to-day operations, grants, partnerships and programs are effectively administered and communicate with the CEO about operational or situational challenges facing the organization.
- Participate actively in developing donors and stewarding donor involvement in grants, partnerships and programs as appropriate, including participating in donor development and solicitation as appropriate.
- Actively participate in fund development strategy and implementation resulting in raising multi-million dollar gifts in support of Federation’s mission-driven strategy.
- Working in conjunction with the CFO, assist in the preparation of the Federation budget.
- Evaluate the financial impact of ongoing programs and new initiatives.
- Manage programs within budgetary guidelines.
- An advanced degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to Federation’s mission.
- Experience as a senior leader with a demonstrated track record in successfully managing programs within a complex organization and community of comparable budget size.
- Demonstrated experience as a fundraiser in support of multi-million dollar projects.
- Strong management skills, with an ability to manage diverse operations, effectively multi-task and a style that encourages creativity, growth, collaboration, problem solving, open communication and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, develop, motivate and retain quality staff and work effectively with the CEO, board members, donors and volunteers.
- Proven track record of sound financial management and growth.
- Experience with program evaluation and oversight.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience in upper level program management.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a deep knowledge of Jewish communal life, organizations and history with special preference given to candidates with knowledge of the San Diego Jewish community.
- A person who is passionately committed to and has deep respect for the mission of Federation and its history.
- A person with excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
- A dynamic, well-spoken, creative and highly-intelligent problem solver who is able to multi-task and prioritize.
- A person who demonstrates an understanding of, and drives the Jewish dimension of services provided by the agency.
Compensation will commensurate with experience.Desired Education Degree/Level:
10 or moreContact For Job:
ConsultantPreferred Contact Method:
E-mailSubmit Resume to:
Want to apply for this job online? Click Here.