Job Title: Director of Outreach & Community Relations
Date Last Updated: 4/7/2013
Job ID #: 10487
Young Leadership Organization Name:
Jewish Federation of Lehigh ValleyLocation:
Director of Outreach and Community Relations
Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley
The Director of Outreach and Community Relations is a key member of the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley’s professional staff team. As Director of Outreach, the position is the lead professional for Federation’s engagement of volunteers in the young adult affinity group and its leadership development efforts. The position is also integral to the implementation of programming for the Women’s Division, Maimonides Medical Society, and other affinity groups of the Federation. This position seeks to provide a forum for affiliation and fund-raising through social, cultural, educational, and philanthropic activities. Activities will include the identification, recruitment, education, training and motivation of individuals to increase their involvement and philanthropy with the Jewish community of the Lehigh Valley. Part of an integrated resource development team, this position will also lead the Federation Annual Campaign’s Phone and Mail division and will assist with certain financial resource development marketing efforts.
As Director of Community Relations this position provides professional leadership to the Federation’s public affairs and advocacy arm, the Community Relations Council (CRC). The CRC informs the public policy agenda of the Federation and educates and mobilizes the Jewish community to action on matters of public policy and vital interest. Primary activity areas include: Israel education and advocacy; intergroup and interfaith relations; media relations; community security; anti-Semitism, Holocaust education, and prejudice reduction; first amendment issues; and public and government affairs.
NOTE: This is a full time position. Consideration may be given to part-time employment for certain assignments.
1) Financial Resource Development
- Professional staff to all phone and direct mail divisions; develop system for direct mail solicitations
- Professional staff to certain campaign divisions and/or workers, including, but not limited to, worker recruitment, card assignment, motivation, tracking, and solicitation assistance
- Staff Super Sunday phone-a-thon
- Participate in donor identification and cultivation
2) Young Adults Division/Young Leadership
- Staff and further develop affinities for volunteer involvement (community service projects) and resource development (JFLV Young Adult Division in annual campaign) among the young Jewish adults community
- Work with other agencies, if feasible, to create programs focused on Jewish identity development, Jewish community education, and social opportunities for broader young adult community
- Develop participation in national and regional young leadership programming (Renaissance, Washington Conference, Cabinet, missions, Ben Gurion Society etc.)
- Staff and further develop the Federation’s emerging leadership program, Next Dor, targeting programs for select young leadership (e.g. 25-45)
- Maintain an active presence in the Jewish young adult community by meeting with donors and potential YAD membership and leadership
3) Community Relations
- Develop and implement broad based Community Relations program to educate the Jewish community on a range of public affairs topics representing political, historical, and cultural perspectives, including Israel, Middle East affairs, anti-Semitism, inter-group relations, religion in the public schools, and social justice.
- Identify issues of key concern and create appropriate policy positions for the Jewish community.
- Staff the Community Relations Council (CRC) and its primary subcommittees: Israel Advocacy and Domestic Concerns. Staff responsibilities will include committee administration, budget preparation and management, grant writing, communications, and strategic planning.
- Work with CRC leadership to represent the interests of the Jewish community to the non-Jewish community through coalition building and networking among community leaders in religious, non-profit, civic, corporate, political, and academic arenas, as well as the media.
- Form coalitions and work closely with other faith, ethnic and non-profit organizations to promote mutual understanding and advance priority concerns of the Lehigh Valley Jewish community.
- Oversee local media relations and promotions; work with and monitor media outlets to ensure that the Jewish public agenda – with particular attention to Israel advocacy, anti-Semitism, and human rights/tolerance – is appropriately and accurately covered.
- Create, promote and implement community programs, speakers, and activities that involve Israel.
- Establish relationships with local, state, and national lawmakers and other national Jewish organizations engaged in government affairs and related efforts.
- As appropriate, represent the Federation in the activities of the Jewish Council for Public Affairs (JCPA), the United Jewish Communities (UJC) Washington Office, and the Pennsylvania Jewish Coalition (PJC).
- Serve as the Jewish community’s primary liaison for issues related to security, appropriate election activity for non-profit organizations, anti-Semitism, prejudice reduction, Israel advocacy, and other projects as deemed by the Federation Executive Director.
4) Other Assignments
- Maimonides Society - Provide staff support to the Maimonides Medical Society, including outreach, organizational meetings, programs and events, campaign divisional activities, overseas partnership projects, and publications.
- Supervise the part-time project coordinator for Shalom Lehigh Valley, Shalom Baby, Give a Mitzvah/Do a Mitzvah Bar Mitzvah philanthropy project, etc.
- Staff or supervise Yom Hazikaron Israel Memorial Day programming.
- Staff or supervise Christmas Day Meals on Wheels volunteer program.
- If assigned, provide staff support to certain projects of the Federations partnership relationship with its sister city in Israel.
- Track progress of pledge cards in campaign division of assigned responsibility
- Assist in the organization and implementation of events and programs, e.g. major gifts, campaign kickoff/ignition/worker training, community campaigns, etc.
- Assist in maintaining updated community relations, campaign and program information for the Jewish community website and Hakol
The Director of Outreach and Community Relations will jointly report to the Assistant Executive Director (primarily for Campaign and Outreach program activities) and to the Executive Director (primarily for Community Relations activities)
This is an exempt position and will require some evening and weekend hours.
Desired Education Degree/Level:
- BA, or equivalent, required. Masters degree preferred
- Prior successful professional experience in Jewish communal service, fundraising, sales, or marketing
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Jewish practices, customs, history, and community organization
- Experience in Jewish communal service, public affairs, Israel advocacy, or related field preferred
- Enhanced computer literacy with some prior database experience
- Advanced relationship building, interpersonal, presentation, written, organizational, and administration skills required
- Self motivated, ability to multi-task, and ability to motivate others is essential
Commitment to Israel and comprehensive background on Israel-related issues and history is preferred
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including public speaking
Ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks; Self motivated, ability to multi-task, and ability to motivate others is essential
- Ability to work closely with others in a team environment, and effectively interact with all levels of management, community leaders, donors, and volunteers
- Have a proven ability to work cooperatively with diverse groups of people
2-5 yrs. experienceContact For Job:
JFNA MCLE - RWContact Title:
ConsultantPreferred Contact Method:
E-mailSubmit Resume to:
Want to apply for this job online? Click Here.