Job Title: Director of Philanthropic Leadership
Date Last Updated: 1/11/2013
Job ID #: 10386
Campaign/Financial Resource DevelopmentOrganization Name:
The Jewish Federation of Greater WashingtonLocation:
Director of Philanthropic Leadership
Jewish Federation of Greater Washington
Organizational Vision, Mission and Function:
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington is a non-profit philanthropic organization dedicated to creating a vibrant and purposeful Jewish community. The Jewish Federation cares for those in need, deepens engagement in Jewish life, and strengthens the bonds among Jews in the Washington area, in Israel, and around the world. Our primary functions are community planning and allocations, financial resource development, and leadership development.
The Director of Philanthropic Leadership serves as the manager of a team of major gifts fundraisers within a multimillion dollar initiative to raise critical dollars for a variety of humanitarian aid, community building, and social service projects. This seasoned sales force manager sits within the Financial Resource Development team and holds a high profile position working with our highest level donors, most senior laypeople, and staff at all levels. The Director focuses his/her time managing a team of three Philanthropic Officers, providing vision, guidance, and motivation for the team, developing and implementing a moves management and corporate sponsorship plan. The Director will also hold a portfolio of donors for which he/she will be responsible for cultivating and soliciting major gifts. This position reports to the Campaign Director.
In partnership with lay leaders and professional colleagues, the Philanthropic Leadership Director plans, implements, and evaluates a creative and aggressive campaign of donors. The Director:
- Supervises a team of three Philanthropic Officers and one researcher providing guidance, leadership, and motivation to the team.
- Manages and implements the new Moves Management system and coordinates Relationship Management process.
- Develops metrics and evaluates on an ongoing basis to ensure that individual and team goals are being met.
- Develops plans and strategies for soliciting major gifts in support of the Annual Campaign and special directed initiatives through the relationship based fundraising model to further engagement with the organization.
- Manages prospect pool of top tier major donors building relationships and moving them from identification to closure.
- Creates, implements, and manages Federation’s corporate sponsorship program.
- Manages and collaborates with the Chair(s) of Philanthropic Leadership to organize and motivate the Philanthropic Leadership Ambassador’s.
- Develops extensive knowledge of Federation partners and agencies, and funding priorities.
- Works closely with the Directors of Planned Giving, The Network, Women’s Philanthropy, and Young Leadership on visits with potential and current donors. Assists in soliciting and developing major gift strategies. Provides necessary professional support including setting of goals and objectives, writing proposals, drafting introductory and follow-up letters and background materials.
- Utilizes considerable initiative, independence, originality and responsibility for developing new methods and techniques for fundraising. Works closely with prospect research and development officers in identifying and tracking major donors and prospects.
- Plans fundraising events and parlor meetings with the objective of engaging and cultivating current donors and prospects.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Intimate knowledge of and passion for the Jewish community, its customs and practices
- Ability to set and evaluate metrics
- Ability to motivate a team to meet and exceed target goals
- High level of customer service
- Exceptional organization and communication skills (both written and oral) with proficiency in English grammar and usage
- Ability to develop relationships and work with a diverse population
- Ability to work productively with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and short deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously; seeming them from concept through execution
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with peers in the organization and staff at all levels
Education and Experience:
- 7-10 years of related experience with management and supervisory responsibilites
- MBA or Master’s level degree in a related field preferred
- Experience managing and motivating a team with strict metrics
- Experience in fundraising, sales, or related field
- Experience in event coordination and planning
- Experience with volunteer engagement
- Experience in strategic and operational planning
Desired Education Degree/Level:
5-10 yrs. experienceContact For Job:
JFNA - MCLE - RWContact Title:
ConsultantPreferred Contact Method:
E-mailSubmit Resume to:
Want to apply for this job online? Click Here.