Job Title: Vice President of Development
Date Last Updated: 1/2/2013
Job ID #: 10600
Campaign/Financial Resource DevelopmentOrganization Name:
Jewish Federation of Southern ArizonaLocation:
Vice President of Development
Jewish Federation of Southern Arizona
The Jewish Federation of Southern Arizona, located in Tucson, is a vibrant and dynamic organization. Tucson is a growing desert community, home to almost 30,000 Jews, the University of Arizona and a full complement of Jewish agencies and congregations.
The Federation seeks a dynamic Vice President of Development who is capable of thriving in a multi-dimensional environment. The chosen candidate will exhibit the skills needed to create a sustainable fund development program in concert with the President/CEO, professional colleagues, and lay partners. The VP of Development reports to the CEO, serves on the staff management team and will lead the development team. Responsibilities will include creating, managing and coordinating development initiatives including all aspects of the Annual Campaign (general campaign, Women’s Philanthropy, Leadership Development, affinity groups, direct mail, e-philanthropy, marketing and corporate sponsorships) as well as special giving opportunities including supplemental, endowments and planned giving in conjunction with our Jewish Community Foundation, an affiliated corporation of the Federation. Primary objectives of this position include: enhancing total Federation fundraising, identifying, cultivating and soliciting new donors, coordinating the donor relationship management process, managing and coaching the development staff and working closely with the Federation President/CEO in the area of major gifts.
The VP of Development will also be an instrumental part of a community-wide effort to strengthen communal resources and facilitate new approaches to the changing landscape of Jewish philanthropy. Toward that end, as part of the Federation’s Synergy Initiative, the VP of Development will convene development professionals associated with the Jewish Community Foundation and Federation beneficiary agencies including the Tucson Jewish Community Center, Handmaker Jewish Services to Elderly, Jewish Family & Children's Service, Tucson Hebrew Academy, and the University of Arizona Hillel.
General Knowledge and Aptitude:
Knowledge and skills in community organization with particular emphasis on methods utilized in fund development. Employs knowledge and understanding of human behavior in developing effective relations among volunteers to achieve a cooperative effort in conducting the annual campaign. Applies knowledge of appropriate methods and procedures in estimating campaign potential, establishing campaign goals, analyzing campaign progress, and evaluating campaign programs. Utilizes knowledge of health and welfare programs and services of a national and local nature, as well as overseas needs in developing a campaign case. Ability to articulate the case and motivate volunteers and donors. Commitment to and passion for building Jewish community.
Duties and Tasks:
- Plans, organizes and directs an annual fundraising campaign plus other special, supplemental and emergency campaigns.
- With the advice and consent of the Federation President/CEO, lay leadership and campaign personnel, establishes and develops appropriate goals, policies, and programs related to the Federation’s various development efforts with the goal of increasing revenue.
- Organizes and develops an appropriate development structure through which community-wide support for the fund raising appeal is achieved. Recruits, organizes and trains campaign volunteers.
- Works with Federation President/CEO, staff and lay leadership in developing the campaign budget.
- Along with the Federation CFO, maintains responsibility for records and accounting systems related to estimating campaign potential and contributions received; and overseeing the administration of the departmental budget. Supervises the preparation of reports on campaign progress and post campaign evaluation.
- Directs the activities of the development staff; supervises the Director of Women’s Philanthropy and the Director of Leadership Development. Participates with the President/CEO in selection of professional staff to be assigned campaign responsibilities.
- Works with marketing/PR staff to develop marketing and public relations efforts on behalf of the campaign and other development efforts.
- Plans, organizes, supervises and/or staffs other functions as required, including, but not limited to: Missions, Friendly Reminders (cash collections), Events, Sponsorships, and Affinity Groups.
- Works collaboratively with the Jewish Community Foundation, as well as Federation beneficiary agencies, on joint fundraising efforts, and gives leadership to the Federation’s legacy efforts.
- Participates with the President/CEO and other key staff and lay leadership in developing strategic direction for the Federation in areas not specific to the campaign.
- At least 3 to 5 years progressively responsible experience in a combination of corporate and/or non-profit settings with responsibility for sales and/or fundraising and institutional development
- Ability to articulate a clear and understandable vision and inspire others in its support
- Ability to serve as team-leader for professionals and volunteers, facilitating collaborative teams through problem solving and creative thinking processes to achieve high-quality results
- Ability to oversee the management of statistical data to assess fundraising effectiveness
- Working knowledge of annual, supplemental and legacy fund development
- Demonstrated success in building, cultivating and stewarding relationships leading to measurable results
- Models a personal commitment to the Jewish community, Jewish values and to broader civic and community issues
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks with proven organizational skills
- Articulate written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer competency
Desired Education Degree/Level:
2-5 yrs. experienceContact For Job:
ConsultantPreferred Contact Method:
E-mailSubmit Resume to:
Want to apply for this job online? Click Here.