In Mideast news, a suspicious explosion in Bangkok is linked to Iran, while conflicting reports emerge over whether Israel will respond to this week’s twin attacks against Israelis in India and Georgia. Meanwhile, Ha’aretz says the attacks are more about Hezbollah’s internal politics. Also, Newsweek takes a behind-the-scenes look at White House thinking on Iran, while USA Today looks at the potential complexity of an Israeli operation against Iranian nuclear facilities.
· Washington Post -- Bangkok blasts prompt more accusations against Iran, a day after bombing attempts target Israelis http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/bangkok-blasts-prompt-more-accusations-against-iran-a-day-after-bombing-attempts-target-israelis/2012/02/14/gIQAHqCLDR_story.html
· Ha’aretz -- Sources: Israel not expected to respond harshly to India, Georgia attacks http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/sources-israel-not-expected-to-respond-harshly-to-india-georgia-attacks-1.412727
· CBS News -- Israel to “settle the score” for Bangkok attack http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57377421/israel-to-settle-the-score-for-bangkok-attack/
· Jerusalem Post -- India, Israel cooperate on bomb investigation http://www.jpost.com/Home/Article.aspx?id=257830
· Ha’aretz (analysis, Avi Issacharoff) -- Recent terror attacks have less to do with Israel than we think http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/recent-terror-attacks-have-less-to-do-with-israel-than-we-think-1.412852
· Forward -- Newsweek Gets Inside Obama’s Iran Calculations http://blogs.forward.com/forward-thinking/151324/
· USA Today -- Israeli attack on Iran would be complex operation http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-02-13/israel-iran-attack/53083160/1
For more Israel-related news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx.
For general security related issues, see these stories collected by JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN): http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/a63723de9e/521804587/6f6ce4dce4/=
The Israel Project maintains the U.S. Hispanic community is among the most anti-Israel; the Forward reports on BDS supporters, including Jews, who are producing an anti-Israel viral video campaign; and the JNS news service looks at an upcoming Harvard conference on a “one-state solution” to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (the answer does not include a Jewish state).
· Ha’aretz -- The Israel Project: ‘American Hispanics are the most hostile toward Israel’ http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/the-israel-project-american-hispanics-are-the-most-hostile-toward-israel-1.412851
· Forward -- Jews And BDS Working Together to Mock Zionists http://blogs.forward.com/the-shmooze/151292/
· JointMedia News Service (op-ed, Steven Stotsky) -- When it comes to the Middle East, Harvard needs some schooling http://www.jns.org/latest-articles/2012/2/14/when-it-comes-to-the-middle-east-harvard-needs-some-schoolin.html
For more on Israel advocacy, see the Israel Action Network’s latest IAN Insider: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=251515.
Israel-Diaspora and Social Issues:
An Israeli columnist, in the LA Jewish paper, examines a new study discounting increased distancing of young American Jews from Israel; and JTA looks at rising economic concerns in Israel and the potential political impacts.
L.A. Jewish Journal (op-ed, Shmuel Rosner) -- The end of Jews distancing from Israel? (Yeah, right) http://www.jewishjournal.com/rosnersdomain/item/the_end_of_jews_distancing_from_israel_yeah_right_20120214/
JTA -- In Israel, economic concerns mount, but unclear which party will benefit http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012/02/14/3091667/in-israel-economic-concerns-mount-but-unclear-which-party-will-benefit
For more on the religious-secular issues in Israel, see this JFNA resource page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=250702.
Federations/Philanthropy/Global Jewish Issues:
In global news, JFNA is among the leading voices against the administration’s proposed reduction in charitable tax breaks; JFNA also pairs with the Reform movement to advocate for protecting vital services under Medicare reform; and JFNA’s William Daroff is named a Jewish influential.
Locally, Federations are featured in L.A., Lehigh Valley, PA and Middlesex County, NJ.
· JTA -- OU, JFNA slam Obama plan to reduce deduction rate (highlights, quotes JFNA) http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012/02/14/3091658/ou-jfna-slam-obama-administration-on-reducing-deduction-cap
Israel National News -- Jewish Federation: Obama Budget Threatens Charitable Giving (highlights, quotes JFNA) http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/152751#.Tzqar8q5Lu0
Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Nonprofits Oppose Obama Plan On Limiting Charity Write-Offs http://philanthropy.com/article/Charities-Oppose-Obama-Plan-on/130776
JTA op-ed (William Daroff and David Saperstein) -- Medicaid reforms need not undermine vital services (highlights JFNA) http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012/02/13/3091656/op-ed-medicaid-reforms-need-not-undermine-services
National Jewish Outreach Program -- First Jewish Influencer Awards (names JFNA’s William Daroff) http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1101485400913-172/NJOP+SMW20.pdf
Forward -- L.A. Federation Kicks Off Annual Phone-a-Thon http://blogs.forward.com/the-shmooze/151302/
N.J. Jewish News -- Police advise local agencies on boosting security measures (highlights Federation) http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/8314/police-advise-local-agencies-on-boosting-security-measures#.Tzp1oU6YKf4
WFMZ-TV (Lehigh Valley, PA) -- Super Sunday Phone-A-Thon raises money for local Jewish community (highlights Federation) http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/Super-Sunday-Phone-A-Thon-raises-money-for-local-Jewish-community/-/132502/8562244/-/13j9gnu/-/index.html