In Mideast news, Vice President Biden reiterated that the U.S. commitment to Israel is “unbreakable.” In Israel, Cabinet ministers decided to hold on to around $100 million in Palestinian Authority funds, two weeks after suspending the transfer in protest of Palestine's admission into UNESCO. And Iran’s prospect for nuclear weaponry continues be a concern for Israel, according to a NY Times news analysis.
On the opinion pages, two senior Israeli government officials assert that peace negotiations have failed between Israel and the Palestinian Authority because of the Palestinians' refusal to recognize Israel as a Jewish state. Critical comments about Netanyahu by Obama and Sarkozy are the focus of a Ha’aretz blog post and a Forward podcast.
Mideast analyst Michael Eisenstadt looked at the situation with Iran in a JFNA-JCPA call last week: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=248328
Detroit Free Press -- Joe Biden reaffirms U.S. support for Israel in Detroit speech http://www.freep.com/article/20111114/NEWS05/111140455/Joe-Biden-reaffirms-U-S-support-Israel-Detroit-speech
Ha-aretz – Israel to Keep Palestinian Authority Funds Against Advice of Security Officials http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-to-keep-palestinian-authority-funds-against-advice-of-security-officials-1.395552
NY Times – Israel Lobbies Discreetly for More Sanctions After U.N. Report on Iran http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/world/middleeast/israel-cautious-after-report-on-irans-nuclear-program.html
Foreign Affairs – The Problem Is Palestinian Rejectionism http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136588/yosef-kuperwasser-and-shalom-lipner/the-problem-is-palestinian-rejectionism
Ha’aretz -- Obama makes his Jewish outreach work harder http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/focus-u-s-a/obama-makes-his-jewish-outreach-work-harder-1.395188
The Forward – Reporter’s Roundtable: Sarkozy Calls Bibi a Liar http://www.forward.com/articles/146038/
A week after the GA, the conference continues to make headlines. Several articles focus on the GA’s strength in the social media arena.
Canadian Jewish News -- Twitter offers radical connectivity at GA http://www.cjnews.com/?q=node/88750
eJewish Philanthropy – Social Media: Building Relationships On and Offline http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/social-media-building-relationships-on-and-offline/
Feisty or Famine - Deconstructing #JFNAGA (Blog Post) http://margalittle.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/deconstructing-jfnaga/
Jerusalem Post – Low Turnout by Israelis at GA Leaves Much to be Desired http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=245128
Arutz Sheva – Mofaz: Two-Nation State Becoming Tangible Danger http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/224321#.TsEnY_T1m7s
Boulder Jewish News – Another Take on Who is a Jew http://boulderjewishnews.org/2011/another-take-on-who-is-a-jew/
JFNA’s Kathy Manning is honored as one of Jewish Woman Magazine’s 10 women to watch in the coming year. The Jewish Agency is holdings its Board of Governors in Argentina and IsraAid is honored for its efforts coordinating Israeli civilian aid following the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Meanwhile, a protest petition is launched over an Avodah social service trip to Israel and Israeli cabinet ministers voted Sunday to back two bills aimed at curtailing the support of left-wing nonprofit groups from foreign governments.
Locally, Federations are highlighted in Denver, Utah and Middlesex, N.J.
· JTA – JFNA’s Kathy Manning on list of 10 extraordinary women http://www.jta.org/news/article/2011/11/14/3090281/jewish-woman-magazine-honors-ten-extraordinary-women
· Jerusalem Post – Jewish Agency looks to bolster ties in Argentina http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=245497
· J-Weekly – Japanese Group Honors Isra-aid http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/63391/japanese-group-honors-israaid/
· The Forward – Israel Trip Divides Jewish Service Group http://www.forward.com/articles/145989/
· NY Times -- Israeli Government Backs Limits on Financing for Nonprofit Groups http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/world/middleeast/israeli-government-backs-financing-limits-for-nonprofit-groups.html
· Denver Business Journal – Jewish Federations Seserman reflects on fundraising http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/print-edition/2011/11/11/jewish-federations-seserman-reflects.html
· Salt Lake Tribune -- Salt Lake City’s Jewish arts fest seeks broad community support http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52907055-78/jewish-community-arts-center.html.csp
· NJ Jewish News -- Super Sunday 2011: something for everyone http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/middlesex/super-sunday-2011-something-for-everyone